Friday, 23 December 2016

Boreham Wood F.C. - Meadow Park

Boreham Wood F.C.

Boreham Wood F.C.
Meadow Park Stadium
Broughinge Road

Official Website:

Ground Number: 34
Date: Tuesday 22nd November 2016
Score: Boreham Wood F.C. 1-0 Sutton United F.C.
Competition: Vanarama National League Premier
Attendance: 371

There are many things that a football fan will experience in their time of watching football from things such as a scrappy 1-0 away defeat in mid-week, experiencing rudeness from stewards, singing in the high street on the way back to the station and having your train cancelled and having to wait until nearly 11pm to get onto a train back home and having to get the tube to your nearest station to try and find a way home and getting home at after midnight. Funnily enough this all happened in one night for me and the rest of the Sutton fans travelling to Boreham Wood.
After being a Sutton fan for over 3 years, I have not been to many mid-week away games mainly due to them being quite far away and going far on a Tuesday night isn't very popular with my parents so whenever Sutton are playing away in mid-week, I tend to groundhop but this Tuesday, Sutton were playing away to Boreham Wood and they are one of the more local teams in the league and my dad was not working on Tuesday and Wednesday so we decided that we would go to this game. Visiting Boreham Wood will also allow me to visit another team/stadium within the M25.
So I woke up this morning and as soon as I lifted my head off my pillow, I thought to myself "this is going to be a long day". I was really excited for tonight's game but as it is Tuesday, I had to go to college first which was not too bad today as I am only in college between 9am and 12:30pm on a Tuesday. Once I finished college I got the bus back to my house which takes around an hour as I go to college in Epsom and I live in Colliers Wood.
Once I got home from college at around 1:45pm, I went and got changed and sorted out my small flag that I am taking to the game and sorted out myself by having a quick wash. At around 2pm my dad arrived at my house and we got in the car and went back to his house so he could get changed as he had just finished work. As I had a spare 10 minutes or so at my dads, I decided to go online and look at what Boreham Wood is like as a place and look at their team and the club`s history so I had a better idea of what to expect.

Boreham Wood F.C. were founded in 1948 and they were formed by the merger of Boreham Rovers and Royal Retournez. Boreham Wood started playing in the Mid-Herts League and in 1951 the club joined the Parthenon League. Then the club joined the Spartan League and then they joined the Athenian League. Then in 1974 the club joined the Isthmian League. Then in the early 2000`s the club was transferred to the Southern League. Then in 2010 the club won promotion to the Conference South and in the 2014/15 season they went up to the National League via the play-offs and they currently still play in the National League. The club has a strong rivalry with St Albans City F.C. and Hemel Hempstead F.C. Boreham Wood F.C. currently play at Meadow Park which has a capacity of 4,500 and there are 1,700 seats. The clubs nickname is `The Wood`. Boreham Wood F.C. ground share Meadow Park with Arsenal Ladies and Arsenal youth teams and because of this, Boreham Wood F.C. have a strong partnership with Arsenal.

We was planning on meeting our friend Tony who also a Sutton fan at Sutton Station as we were planning to get the train with him to Elstree and Borehamwood and then go to the ground together but when we left my dad`s house, we passed Tony at the bus stop around the corner so we picked him up and drove to Angel Hill and go the 280 to Sutton Station. We got to the station at around 4pm and we got on the Thameslink train which would take us straight to Elstree and Borehamwood at around 4:20pm. On the train we had a chat about the game tonight and what we had gotten up to recently. The train was not very busy but when we got into Central London the train got a bit more busy. I was really tired when we finally arrived at Elstree and Borehamwood at around 5:15pm and I was so tired that I didn't even notice that we were at the station.
Once we got off the train we walked down Borehamwood high street which felt very friendly and was a very nice high street and a couple of the locals said "hello" to us and we felt very welcome. We decided that we were going to have KFC for dinner and just before we went in KFC, a couple of people said to us "you`re gonna lose tonight" and we just ignored them because there was a high chance that they were not true Boreham Wood fans and they were probably not Boreham Wood fans when Boreham Wood played in the 8th tier. In KFC I got a boneless banquet and we finished our dinner at around 5:35pm.
We then headed for the stadium and during the 10 minute walk we passed a couple of other Sutton fans and whilst we walked past the stadium towards the entrance I took some pictures of the stadium. Once we arrived at the stadium, we purchased a programme and then went in the bar and a couple of the Boreham Wood F.C. fans said "hello" and asked about our season etc. and we felt very welcome in the bar. There was a pool table in the bar so me and my dad had a couple of games and me being me, I lost both games.
We then headed out to the stadium at 6:20pm and we went straight in and I put my flag up on the seated stand to take some pictures of it and then we walked around the ground to get some more pictures. Meadow Park is a really nice stadium. The ground has a capacity of 4,500 and there are 1,700 seats. The best part of the stadium is the West Stand which was opened in July 2014. This great looking stand, has a capacity of 1,200 seats and is covered. It is quite steep, meaning that fans are kept close to the playing action. There is a 'plinth' area above the stand which is used as a television gantry, which gives the stand an interesting look.
Opposite is the Main Stand, which again is a modern looking all seated stand, that has a capacity of 500 and is covered. It runs for around half the length of the pitch and sits astride the half way line. Like the new West Stand it is free on any supporting pillars, giving a good view of the playing action. The team dugouts are situated in front of this stand. Both ends have portions of open terrace and flat standing areas. In the South East corner of the stadium there is a rather tall and ugly looking mobile telephone mast, but it has been put to good use, serving also as one of the four floodlight pylons. Meadow Park is also used by Arsenal Ladies FC for their home games as well as Watford FC reserves. (Description of Meadow Park is sourced from Football Ground Guide).
I then headed to the burger van to get a cheeseburger and whilst I was getting my burger, my mates Johnnie, Owen and Ryan were just coming into the ground and we had a chat and then started a couple of chants as we were a bit bored and then we headed around the other goal as we were kicking that way and once behind the goal we then put our flags  The cheeseburger was not the best but it tasted okay and I would recommend buying one but like I said they are not the best. Sutton had a good few chances in the first half but Boreham Wood looked a stronger side and it clearly showed as they went 1-0 up.
Me and the rest of the Amber Alliance who had turned up tonight were chanting for the whole first half. During the first half, the steward to take down Johnnie`s flag as it was covering advertisement which is something we can understand as people pay to advertise their company but the steward was really rude about it as he just ripped the flag off the barrier and he didn't even ask Johnnie to take it down himself and luckily enough the steward did not rip the flag material.
Me and the rest of the Amber Alliance who had turned up tonight were chanting for the whole first half. During the first half, the steward to take down Johnnie`s flag as it was covering advertisement which is something we can understand as people pay to advertise their company but the steward was really rude about it as he just ripped the flag off the barrier and he didn't even ask Johnnie to take it down himself and luckily enough the steward did not rip the flag material.
The funny thing is we had flags clipped on the fence behind where we were standing which were covering advertisement but the steward did not moan about that but then in the 2nd half he moaned about it so really Boreham Wood F.C. need to sort out their stewards as they clearly do not know what they are enforcing. The 2nd half was not any better for Sutton but they just could not seem to get the ball in the back of the net and in the last minute, Sutton goalkeeper Ross Worner went for a bicycle kick and the bicycle kick was successful on target but the Boreham Wood goalkeeper saved the shot and the full time whistle was blown and we lost 1-0.
When we was walking back to the station, me and the other members of the Amber Alliance were chanting our Sutton songs to make the most of the night and to show our support for our team and when we got to the station we was in for a massive shock. When I walked into the station there were around 30 Sutton fans just crowding the ticket hall and I thought it was a queue for the ticket barrier but we looked at the information board and all trains to Sutton and that area had been delayed until around 11pm or cancelled. We were all really annoyed as we just wanted to get home and all of the Sutton fans went out onto the platform and waited and we were all thinking of ways to get home and we were chanting things in the station to keep us busy but even though we lost the game and our trains were really messed up, we were all having a good old laugh.
A train did finally arrive at around 10:45pm and as soon as got on the train, we did a few Sutton songs but then sat down for the rest of the journey. We decided to get off at Kings Cross St Pancras as we could get the tube back to Morden and then get the bus back to the car. We got off the train at around 11:20pm and did some more chanting before we got on the Victoria Line down to Stockwell and then got on the Northern Line down to Morden and we got back to Morden at 12am. We then got on the 164 to where the car is parked. We got back to my dads at 12:30am feeling very tired. 
Stadium: 7/10
Bar: 7/10
Food and Drink: 7/10
Atmosphere: 6/10
Friendliness: 7/10
Value For Money: 7/10
Overall Rating: 6.8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment